911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

How low can your oxygen saturation be before you go to the

Customer Question

How low can your oxygen saturation be before you go to the hospital?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

hello, are you there?

Customer :

yes

911Doctor :

do you have your own O2 saturation meter?

Customer :

yes

911Doctor :

why do you have one? what disease are you being treated for that affects your ability to breathe/

911Doctor :

?

Customer :

it is my mothers...I have an ongoing anemia problem since august but o2 went to 80 today and heart rate to 130.... numbers haven't been that bad

911Doctor :

you need to go to the hospital now...

911Doctor :

where are you... small town or large?

Customer :

really? small town, my docter is in denver 4 hours away

911Doctor :

are you on the western slope or in eastern colorado?

Customer :

western

911Doctor :

grand junction?

Customer :

aspen/glenwood springs

911Doctor :

nice... know it well. which is closer for you and where is the larger/better hospital.

911Doctor :

?

Customer :

my docter in denver will have me do testing...but he is not someone I can reach till monday...

911Doctor :

i understand... that's why i want to know if aspen or G spgs has a better hospital....

Customer :

glenwood....but I don' t want to go, would really like to know lowest o2highest pulse rate before i HAVE to go

911Doctor :

first of all your heart rate should be about 80 and your o2 should be over 90, so right there you are in trouble. problem is, with a heart rate that high, your sat meter is probably not accurate. if you are severely anemic, which i believe you are based on your heart rate, then you are probably low on oxygen. add to that the fact that you are at about 9000 feet and you can not afford to fool around with this. with those numbers, even if you were in Denver, i would admit you to the hospital.

Customer :

sorry to say meter is fine, tested it on my husband..... in sept I was anemic and my heart rate was 110-115 for 6 weeks and no one except me seemed to care..... the 130 just scared me.... so I will take your recommdation and think about it..... by the way my blood pressure is fine

911Doctor :

what does 'fine' mean for your blood pressure? and there is another concern about your heart rate... if it is rapid atrial fibrillation, which it could be... then you are at risk of big problems.... what does your blood count usually run? the hematocrit?

Customer :

fine for my bp is 110/70.... I am always low. In sept heatocrit was way off as well as all other numbers, can't remember exact numbers....but in early oct all went back to normal..... then had my period this month and it started again.....about 5 days ago

911Doctor :

are you short of breath right now/

911Doctor :

having chest tightness?

Customer :

a bit short of breath, no chest tightmentss

911Doctor :

please go. please?

Customer :

I will watch everything very closely and really think about it......thank you for your help and concern

911Doctor :

i can't make you go, but you are in danger. i'm a board certified ER physician and I know what i'm talking about. probably just an overnight stay to get some blood... but you are at altitude and low on oxygen and blood and your heart is having a hard time. that's my opinion and i respect your ability to decide for yourself. but that's my advice. i wish you well.... and will answer any more questions you have...

Customer :

thank you

911Doctor :

you are most welcome.

Customer :

never done this....will this go to my email so I can read again?

911Doctor :

you know, i'm not sure... let me convert this to the Q and A format.... that way after you click accept you can continue to update me.... if you do not get a copy by email or can not get a copy from the site you can then give me your email in a spelled out format... ie john dotXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.... and i'll send it to you... it will come from an anonymous yahoo adress...

911Doctor :

if you will click accept i will convert it and go from there....

Customer :

ok thanks.....XXX@XXXXXX.XXX I will now press accept

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.
okay, here we are in Q and A. do you have a copy or do i need to send you one? if i need to send you one please spell out your email address for me.