TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

Yesterday we smoked some flavored tobacco from a home-made

Yesterday we smoked some flavored tobacco from a home-made pipe. The head of the pipe turned out to be plastic ( without us knowing), and whilst lighitng the tobacco, the plastic head was melting as well, and i had only noticed after i inhaled the smoke, because it tasted like plastic, i quickly then noticed the plastic burning. At the time i was having shortness in breath (not too severe), i slept easily, it was just a small shortness in breath. Today i am still having the same shortness in breath. I am going to get it checked in 2 days, but meanwhile, will i be fine? All the other health centers are closed untill monday, so will it be safe to wait 2 days? Or should i go to an emergency room now?

I would say if your shortness of breath is only mild- you can wait until you are seen by a doctor.

If you are wheezing, or become more short of breath you will need to be seen sooner. You likely will need a bronchodilator ("inhaler" to open your airways, and potentially may need a course of steroids, depending on the findings.

Your symptoms likely are from what you inhaled, but it is not likely to lead to long term problems, unless you have additional exposures. I would certainly avoid smoking in the near future. Having said that, there are indeed some rare conditions that can lead to severe lung injury after inhalation- including hypersensitivity type allergic reactions, or toxic reactions from certain chemicals. Again these would likely be treated with inhalers and/or steroids.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You think it would be okay if i still smoke cigarettes for now? Can i get this bronchodilator from any pharmacy? It also wont have any side-effects on me right?.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I assume you are in the UK- That would be a prescription medicine rather than over the counter. I would say if you are not improving, then you need to see a physician for a prescription.

I really think smoking is not wise for you- as it will only worsen your symptoms.

If you absolutely have to smoke to prevent nicotine withdrawal- then limit it as much as you can- but I would consider nicotine gum or a patch if you can avoid smoking.

Good luck.