Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

I am experiencing dull pain, mostly in my left armpit, that

I am experiencing dull pain, mostly in my left armpit, that feels like a pulled muscle. Depending on what I'm doing or the position of my arm, the pain sometimes extends down the side of the bicep, the inside of the left elbow, and halfway down the forearm. Those areas are all tender when pushed on, feeling almost like I've been bruised there. I felt in the armpit and did not feel any lumps so I don't think the lymph node is swollen. I have had a mild cold for the past week or so (some sniffles).

I have not been hit in the arm or had any unusual exertions that would explain bruising or muscle strains. I have no history of heart problems and am not experiencing any shortness of breath, chest pain, etc. I was hospitalized for 3 days about 2 years ago for rhabdomyolosis after not hydrating properly and weight lifting too hard on consecutive days. I have not had any arm problems after recovering from that initial episode but I don't know if I'm now more susceptible to rhadbo than the average person.
The only other idea I have is that the pain could be stress related because I was served with a foreclosure notice yesterday and the pain started last night.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

This sounds like tendonitis, which is a type of musculoskeletal pain usually due to overuse. I'm recommending that you do not use the arm for any lifting, that you rest it, apply ice to the most painful spot alternating with heating pad, and also that you keep it propped up on a pillow at night when sleeping. Start taking ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours with food for pain.

Dr. E