Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

My sister is 41 years old and recently had gastric bypass surgery

My sister is 41 years old and recently had gastric bypass surgery last December to avoid liver failure. Her diabetes was out of control. Since December she has lost 123 LBs of weight, now weighing 125 LBS, She is unable to keep food down on a regular basis. She tries to eat only 1/4C of food but most of the time She throws up. She takes Zofran and Raglan but does not help. Any suggestions for Digestion. Her chiropractor recomends a digestive aid. Any Suggestions? How do people maintain a healthy weight? Not so skinny.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

As you probably already know, nutrients are not absorbed well and it makes it difficult to get adequate nutrients. I suggest changing to a liquid vitamins to help aid in that process. Also she needs to be taking B 12 injections on a monthly basis.

A good probiotic will also help. I recommend Bio Gaia daily for this.
Protein is vital for her as well. Either in liquid shakes or food if she can tolerate it.

I am assuming that she is under the care of a physician due to her medications that she is on. She will need close following for this. I am assuming that she has been checked for pancreatitis as well.

Sometimes the gallbladder may be a cause of this vomiting as well so that may need to be evaluated if she still has hers.

A good site that is very familiar with bariatric patients is FitnessROad.com. They have lots of nutritional supplements and help to problem solve with patients as well.

I wish her the best.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where can we find out more about gastric bypass. She needs to eat protein and foods.
Lots of information on the net is about having gastric bypass and immediately post operative. She is well beyond that phase. Really, everyone needs to be individualized care and close follow up for complications afterwards.

So, the best help should be her provider that is caring for her. She can also try bariatric specialists, look in her network or the hospitals where you are at for those to help her resolve her issues.

There is a site called Obesityhelp.com that is beneficial as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Her doctors have stuck cameras down her throat and egd twice but everything looks fine from the surgery. She has seen a nutritionist on ongoing visits. She was then living off crackers ( 6 as day - 2 brkfst, 2 lunch, 2 dinner) until last June. I got her eating baby food and currently switching health care providers, can you believe they lost her records.

How is it some girls gain all there weight back, I just want her to hold her food down.

Her new health care becomes effective December 1, 2010. She has seen several doctors in the last two months. Best suggestion is No enzymes to digest the food, No stomache. Does this sound plausible?

I can certainly understand your frustration with the lost records and not being able to hold foods down.

Certainly without a stomach she will not have as many enzymes to digest food. The probiotics can help to restore normal flora and intestinal health.

Let me research the enzymatic aids a little more to see if there is anything that might work.

I can respond to you tomorrow about this if that is ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Couple of more things to mention: My sister has diabetes, hence liver failure, had to have gastric bypass. Gave her one year to live otherwise.

Secondly, my sister has hiv. Her counts are dropping from not eating. Recently checked since no records. Last June, she had a higher count.

Do you think chewing a sugarless gum for one hour after eating will help with digestion?

Need more information for dietary habits after gastric bypass. Getting worried.

Thanks

Sharon

Thanks for letting me take the time to research more about enzymatic therapy. I am going to stand by the Bio Gaia probiotics for this. I think that is your best try.

It seems that she has already been checked out for narrowing of the opening to the "stomach" as that can be a cause of nausea/vomiting.

I am also assuming that she is on a PPI which is medication to help any ulcers that are there. Those medications would be like Prilosec, Nexium, etc.

Knowing she has HIV, she may want to take acidophalius pills. There is one called Pearl acidophalius that is well tolerated. This will help if she has a chronic yeast problem in the intestines.

Basically, she need a provider that will be aggressive with finding the cause and treatment of her nausea. ANd not to forget the importance of psychological counseling during this time as well. She could have psychogenic vomiting that is a learned behavior when she eats that she will vomit. All of these components need to be done together.

I wish you the best!