Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

hi i need help with klonopin and atenolol

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.
Hi, what is your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am on it as needed so i take .5 two times sometomes 1mg 2 times i think its giving me lightheaed can this be true i took .5 today 3 hrs later my heart went up and i took another .5 and a atenolo it came down in a hr should i try to take klonopin and if that doesnt work take my atenolol i take atenolol for pots syndrome
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

You should take your klonapin for anxiety, rather than heart rate. Unless the heart rate increases directly as an anxiety response.

Heart rate naturally changes during the day depending on the stresses and activities that we undertake. Taking atenolol will drop your blood pressure and worsen any dizziness so again should also be used with caution unless directly advised by your doctor.

Klonapin also causes dizziness as a side effect so you need to bear this in mind when taking it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i see that i dont know what to do to relieve this when i was lightheaded my hr was 92 my bp was 140 / 97 should i take the klonopin with theses numbers or atenolol if i take 12.6mg of atenolol my hr drops to 50 so i try to to 6mg and 5hrs later is when all this happened is this do to the low dose
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.
What happens to your heart rate if you sit down and take nothing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it goes up and down 100 to 130 and dizzy so i dont know what is working the atenolol or klonopin when it happens i take both
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.
If the heart rate goes up to 130 at rest then you need a proper evaluation of this rate and treatment needs to be more organized at maintaining a lower resting rate. I would suggest that you schedule a 24 hour ECG tape and then meet with a cardiologist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did that normal rythem 2 tests they claim anxiety
But pots is hr so I think the atenolol lowers it to much after 4hr
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

Atenolol has a long duration of action, you may wish to discuss the use of a drug such as propranolol which may be slightly shorter acting.

Or the daily use of a low dose bisoprolol to control heart rate may be another option. Trying to manage individual episodes on a daily basis is not the best option considering the variablity that you experience.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know I want to stop them but have no luck 2 years
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

It is worth asking again for a more consistent regimen, as it is you risk developing tolerance to klonapin.

The other alternative for both POTs and heart rate is an antidepressant with anti-anxiety properties.,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will the klonopin cause heart to race if not taking every day 2 or 3 times a day as prescibed
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

The klonapin should not have a direct effect on heart rate, it has an impact on anxiety so if your day is not stressful, or you do not have panic attacks then there is no need to take.

I will be off line soon for the next 24 hours but will check in then

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have panic attacks thats why i take it
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

If you have panic attacks then discuss citalopram or sertraline with your doctor, as well as counseling...with time you should be able to get control of the panic attacks although it can be hard work.

regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i see a cbt evry week for 1 month its hard the klonopin is not working why do i need more he gave me up to 4mg a day i take 1 sometimes 2mg should i take the same everyday
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

The concern with taking klonapin regularly is that you develop tolerance and dependence which means that your need for the drug will increase with time. I do believe it is worth discussing citalopram or sertraline. These drugs will reduce panic attacks over time, and they also have an effect on controlling POTS too.

Then that would allow you to only use klonapin when you find that you cannot control the panic with breathing and relaxation exercises.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is it safe to take atenolol and klonopin at the same time
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.
There is a theoretical risk that if you take these two ingredients at the same time then you get increased drop in blood pressure leading to sensations of lightheadedness and even fainting. I would suggest that you leave a gap between taking these tablets.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i stopped atenolol and lightheaded is gone but hr is hi whem standing working but when i sit are lay its 75 so i think atenolol is lowering it to much on sitting is this sound true what can i do is it safe to keep hr standing 110 to 130
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

Target heart rate should be 60-80beats per min at least with moderate exercise heart rate of 140 during activity. A heart rate that is persistently elevated over 100 can put additional stress on the heart and lead to long term problems.

There are other rate-controlling drugs other than atenolol so if it is not helping then see a cardiologist for a review.

I am just going off line again will check back in tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you answer my question no one has its been 24hr can you find it so I don't pay twice