Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

My friend hurt his side where the ribs are located. He cant

Customer Question

My friend hurt his side where the ribs are located. He cant laugh sneeze or cough w/o lots of pain in the area.He did this a week ago.This morning he noticed on the same side as the injury there is a long dark bruise down by his hip bone.Which is nowhere near the injury sight.He says it is hurting more today than it did when he injuried it. He has been taking motrin and also was putting icy hot patch on the sight where it hurts and there is some swelling.The injury was caused by throwing a football. What could be wrong?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.

Did he noticed the bruise today or it actually developed now?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bruise was noticed today. But the bruise does have some yellowing around the top edges. So it couldve been there at least a couple of days. He injured himself a week ago. But has had allergies and has been sneezing at least a few times a day and when he does sneeze it s always worse in pain afterwards.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.

How big is the rash?

Any fever?

Does it looks likes a rash which one develops due to trauma or injury?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No fever. It s not a rash. Its a bruise ...to us it looks like where blood has pooled.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.

Is there any pain in chest?

How he got injured?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No chest pain... he was injured just by throwing a football...he felt pain in his rib area last week and the pain has gotten worse.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
DId he fell down or something?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No just throwing

Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

He could have torn or inflamed the cartilage surrounding the ribs. This will make sneezing, coughing, or taking deep breaths difficult. I am a little surprised about the bruising in the area however, it could occur. One would usually expect more trauma to that area for bruising to occur.

If he has done the things that you have said then, he really should see a provider if he is not improving. They may want to take x-rays to be sure there are no fractures. He also might need stronger anti-inflammatories or pain medication so he will take the deep breathes and avoid pneumonia.
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did take him to ER last week. They put him on pretty much bed rest for 3 days w/ using a heating pad on the site. The bruised looking area is now no longer visiable but the hemotoma has gotten bigger.You can now see the bump(which you couldnt really see a bump when i took him to er) He keeps sneezing and coughing. And he says that it still hurting. He was taking hyrdrocodone for 3 days and did nothing during that time. Is there anything else that can be done for it? If he keeps reinjuring it, is there a next option?