Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

I have a cold , I think caught in my hairdressers I was so

I have a cold , I think caught in my hairdressers I was so cold as I sat there with wet hair,
my conern is not with my runny nose but I have asthma and usually any headcold ends up on my chest and I get into trouble with breathing. Is there anything I can do to prevent this outcome of the common cold? at the moment I'm all green in the gills.
thankyou for reading
Ericamary Firth
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

I am sorry you got a cold. The common cold is a virus as you might already know. Precautionary measures to take would be:

1 - Get PLENTY of rest!
2 - Eat a diet high in protein.
3 - Continue taking Vit C.
4 - You want to keep from getting too dry. A wet cough is better than a dry cough. So you will want to keep your secretions liquefy. So drink plenty of fluids, warm fluids are helpful, use a humidifier in the main part of the house, and steam breathing helps or even nasal saline.
5- Take an over the counter antihistamine like Claritin if you can to help prevent the asthma from starting. This may not prevent it totally but will help.

And lastly if your asthma does start, seek treatment early.