Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

My potassium level came up 3.2 I have been virtually unable

Customer Question

My potassium level came up 3.2 I have been virtually unable to function for the past two weeks,loud ringing in the ears,extreme fatigue,shortness of breath,dizzy,just started taking prescription potassium three days and no change.Should I go to the emergency room
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I would like to help you but need some additional information from you.

Besides checking your blood work has your doctor done any other tests (x-ray, EKG, echocardiogram).

Besides Cozaar and potassium do you take any other medications?

Have you noticed any swelling in your legs?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no xray or ekg,no swelling in legs ,but extreme pain in the ankles and wrists,every morning.had radioactive iodine implant on august 26th for prostate cancer

Thank you for your reply.

Potassium level of 3.2 should not cause you any symptoms other then occasional leg cramps some people experience, however, these levels are not dangerously low and should not have such an effect. We do worry if potassium gets below 3.0 as it can cause different irregularities in the heart beat but your levels are not in the danger level.

My concern about your symptoms is shortness of breath and fatigue. It seems that you have high blood pressure (since you are taking Cozaar) and, therefore, you are at a higher risk of developing build up of fluid in your lungs. Since your doctor has not done any tests other then blood work, I would recommend that you go to either a local ER or back to your doctor to have EKG and chest x-ray done (some doctors don't do x-rays in their office so you might save yourself time by going to ER where you will get full work-up done). Also, if more blood is being checked, I would recommend getting tested for thyroid dysfunction and definitely have your potassium levels rechecked.

Ringing in the ears and dizziness is possibly related to the same problem of vertigo. Vertigo is a sensation of room spinning, some people describe it as "being drunk on the boat". Vertigo, however, should not cause any shortness of breath or fatigue which is why I do advise you to have further evaluation. Vertigo is treated with an over-the-counter medication called Meclizine but please do get a confirmation from an examining physician that you have vertigo prior to taking any medication.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia