Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

im having weird chest pain under my left breast, it hurts to

im having weird chest pain under my left breast, it hurts to breath at times and it gets worse when I lay on my stomach, i also have heart burn and i took my nexium. is this serious or do you think its just a mixture of positional chest pain and my heartburn it also goes to my stomach at times. I have very high anxiety and I have a major phobia of blood clots.

Since how long is the pain?

How severe is it on the scale of 0-10?

Do you have sweating, radiation of pain in arm, tender area on chest?

Is there pain when you move your upper back or shoulder?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Are you diabetic, have high blood pressure, are sedentary, stressed, over weight, smoker, take alcohol?

Is your cholesterol or lipid profile normal?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the pain is about a 3 and it comes on very randomly, its more annoying than anything. my rib cage is tender just under my left breast but Ive been pushing on it a lot to take the edge off the pain. I do not smoke and I do not drink. the only surgeries I have had were 2 c-sections 9-4-2008 and 9-15-209.
my blood pressure is normal as far as I know. not diabetic, I am very stressed! I am on lorazepam and zoloft.
have not taken it reacently.
i am over weight I have gained 60 pounds in 1 year .
when I just stood up it started to hurt again. but only when I breathed in.
as far as cholestoral and lipid testing, i have not been tested. every time I ask my dr laughs and tells me no!

I had a D-Dimmer done about 3 months ago and It was Negitive. IM a pretty active person I eat heatlth and excersize daily Im really trying to get this weight off, is it highly possible to get a blood clot?

Your symptoms are not likely due to blood clot and they are likely to be unrelated to the heart. Still no harm in getting an EKG done, so your anxiety is relieved completely. Following are the possible causes for your pain;

A) Costochondritis; it is inflammation at the junctions of rib and cartilage or with the breast bone / sternum. Local analgesic ointment, or spray, chest brace and warm compresses with Ibuprofen is helpful. Another possibility is muscle sprain. Please read about the costochondritis;

B) Pinched nerve in the neck can also cause chest pain. A physical examination by a doctor is usually able to give concrete clues to the diagnosis.

C) Myofascial trigger point; they may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event (say violent cough) or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant
2) physical therapy
3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation
4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray
5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)
6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points
7) massage
8) steroid shots
9) acupuncture

D) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); this can be a concomitant problem.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun