Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have needle like pains along my fingers and hand, and also

I have needle like pains along my fingers and hand, and also in my toes (happening for last few months but getting worse). Pains last only for a few seconds but are quite intense. Also a tingling on my face, kind of pins and needles feeling that makes me need to scratch it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

I need to know some points regarding your query.

How long and how frequently are you having the symptoms?

Have you consulted doctor?

Do you take any medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have been having symptoms for around six months. I get symptoms randomly. Sometimes several times a day, sometimes not for a couple of days. I have not seen a doctor about this, only the numbness in my face (last summer) when they did a blood test (testing I think for some kind of mineral deficiency) and nothing showed up. Since at that point it didn;t seem to be getting worse, i didn;t do anything about it then. But have gradually been subject to more of the pain in my fingers and toes, and along the backs of my hands and feet.

No other previous symptom apart from fatigue (but i am very busy with job, 4 kids etc) and constipation which especially when I am very tired, results in crippling stomach ache which then seems to resolve itself with rest.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The intermittent pins & needles sensation or short sharp pain are related to nerve impulses .

It can be due to pinching of a nerve or its root , in the spine or in the limb.

The other common causes are low calcium or electrolytes, vitamins , thyroid diseases, diabetes, or other nerve diseases.

Your doctor possibly checked for those.

As the symptoms are getting worse, I feel you should consult a neurologist for an opinion.

You may try supplements of calcium, vitamins.

Take plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, water.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.