Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

The back of the roof of my mouth is swollen and it hurt to

The back of the roof of my mouth is swollen and it hurt to swallow. It start on Sunday, I was out of town. Went to the doc on Tues they tested for strep, it came back neg.They put me on Amoxicillin and Prednisone. been taking it since Tues. No cough, sneezing,vomiting or fever. On Thursday afternoon I coughed up some black mucus twice. My doc never said why this was happening. Could I get some answer from you. I was out at a open fire Friday and Sat. nite. They were burning Christmas from last year that were wrapped up in plastic bags for a year. Thanks very much for your time Penny
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Shah :

Are you otherwise a healthy person?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Shah :

Are you still on medication? Do you see improvement in your symptoms?

Customer:

yes I am still taking the meds, the swelling has gone down a little, but it still hurts to eat solid food

Dr. Shah :

How about fever? Do you have any palpable glands in your neck or ear ache?

Customer:

no fever, no ear ache glands feel fine

Dr. Shah :

Do you produce mucus or sputum? what is its color?

Customer:

it's clear with black stuff in it

Dr. Shah :

Do you see these black stuff all the time or it was there only twice? Do you see decrease in black contents as you get better?

Dr. Shah :

Any blood contents on mucus?

Customer:

only saw it the two times both with about the same amount. No blood and have not produced any more today

Dr. Shah :

How often you are exposed to an external pollution?

Customer:

not sure what your asking

Dr. Shah :

I mean, are you exposed to dust, fire, air pollution during your walk or at work?

Customer:

no I do sit around open fires during the fall about 1 or 2 a month

Dr. Shah :

Thank you for the information. Based on your description, I don't see any alarming features at this time. Moreover, you have been evaluated and kept on treatment and most likely you are on recovery phase. the black particles that you are describing here sounds like an external component from fire or air pollution. there is nothing inside your lungs that will produce black particles. As you said, you noticed it only twice which means as your clean up those particle you will no longer see it unless it is deposed again. All i can say is to avoid such exposure or probably use a mask.

Customer:

Thank you for your time. I am not a sick person as a whole. This is the worst thing I have had as an adult. It is a little scare when you don't know what is making you sick. Have a great weekend. PEACE

Dr. Shah :

You are welcome!
Now you can press "ACCEPT" button to end this conversation. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.