Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

Hi, I am 51 year old male taking Z-pak for three days for sinus

Hi, I am 51 year old male taking Z-pak for three days for sinus infection. Tonight, when I got home from work and laid down, both of my legs began to ache and burn, quite bad. It finally stopped after about 20 minutes, but now both legs burn slightly, as if I had been exercising heavily. Could this be a side effect of the z-pak? Should I continue taking it? Also using flonase and tessalon. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Are you taking any other medication on a daily basis other than what you have mentioned?
IS there any rash on your legs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No rash. I take priolsec 40 mg daily, atenolol 50 mg daily and usually 45 mgs of temazepam at bedtime to help me sleep.

Along with the Z-pak, i am using flonase once a day and tessalon (200 mg) three times a day, but just during the period of this illness

Thanks for the additional information.

Most common side effects of this medication is nausea, stomache ache, diarrhea, more like GI distress types of symptoms.

Very rare side effects do include muscle weakness among others. IF this worsens then you need to see your provider right away to do some lab tests to make sure that it is not a symptom of something more concerning called rhabdomyosis.

The other medications that you are on should also not cause those side effects.

The leg symptoms that you are describing can also be caused by dehydration. So make sure that you have increased fluids. It is ok to take some ibuprofen tonight but if you continue to have problems about this in the morning, please see your provider.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much!
You are very welcome.

Hope you feel better soon!