Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

53 yr old woman, 10 yr survivor of breast cancer. Was diagnosed

53 yr old woman, 10 yr survivor of breast cancer. Was diagnosed with osteoporosis several yrs ago, seemed to be right after my chemo. I have taken foxamax but had jaw pain. Have taken reclast 2 yrs ago and this past year have taken aredia. Just had my DEXA scan, T-score stayed about the same in spine but increased in my hip. I am now taking 1,500 mg of calcium, 5,000 units of Vit D once a week. I plan on drinking more milk, eating yogarts and walking at least 4 days a week. Is there something else i can do to help me. I've blown alot of money on the above products...but no improvement. My husband is self-empl, so we do have to pay everything out of pocket. Thanks so much JTM
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

I want to make sure I understand what you are saying about the Calcium and Vit D. Are you just taking it once a week? or every day?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am taking 1,500 calcium daily and Vit D 5,000 units once a week. Both of these were recommended by my OBGYN doctor. thanks....jtm

Thanks for clarifying that. We know that calcium does not absorb more than 500-600mg at a time, so it is better to take it three times a day.

I really like the reclast but understand the cost factor.

You are doing everything that you can do with what you have described. The exercise, increasing calcium consumption etc. The only thing that I would suggest is to take 2,000 units of Vit D daily. This will help with absorption. It is very difficult to overdose on Vit D. Now, I would be sure that you are taking 5,000 units a week and not 50,000 units. If it is 50,000 units than don't take any additional Vit D.