Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I was prescribed Methylprednisolone for some poison ivy that

I was prescribed Methylprednisolone for some poison ivy that I have. I just noticed that I have bloody stool. It was not a small, but not a large amount of blood. I am currently out of my home town, so I cannot visit my doctor. I think going to an emergency room might be a little extreme, since I feel fine. What should I do? Should I stop taking the Methylprednisolone? I did drink some beer last night and now I see that it does not mix well with the Methylprednisolone. I certainly won't be drinking for awhile.

How many stools have been bloody?

Is it bright red bleeding?

Are you having any abdominal pain?

How many days have you been on the steroid?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just the one time.
It is bright red.
I have no abdominal pain,
I have been on the steroid for 1 day. I did drink alcohol last night, but now I see that I should not have done that.

Thanks for your response that helps me to understand your situation better.

Since you have only been on them for 1 day it is highly likely that it is coincidental of taking the med and the bright red stools.

That medication is given for people with Charon's disease and irritable bowel syndrome that helps with decreasing inflammation. So in other words they help bowel disorders and are not known for causing this side effect.

It could be a hemorrhoid. I agree you would not need to go to the ER for this. Monitor your stools over the next few days. If it occurs again you will need to be examined.