Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I was hit on the shin a week ago by a softball. The leg is

I was hit on the shin a week ago by a softball. The leg is still swollen and very sore. When I stand it takes about 1-2 minutes before I can walk. I take coumadin for a blood clotting disorder and understand the trauma is worse than normal. I had x-rays the night of the trauma and the doc said there is no fracture. Should I be concerned about the severe pain? Is there a chance the leg has a hairline fracture?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

OUCH! That sounds so painful! Hope you had a good softball game though if you were playing! HA!

The shins take a long time to heal so it is possible that you still have a soft tissue type injury to the shin. HOWEVER, it is also possible that you could have a fracture to the bone that did not show up on x-ray yet. So, your options are to repeat the x-ray after 7-10 days OR a bone scan could be done for more precise imaging.

So, follow up with your provider and let them know the amount of pain you are in. They will most likely do follow up imaging to be sure that it indeed is only a contusion.

It can be so very painful with just a contusion on the shin and may take a few weeks to heal.