Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have a warm sensation in my lower right leg but its not

I have a warm sensation in my lower right leg but it's not warm to the touch. It happens throughout the day but it's not painful- any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Do you take any medications or have any chronic health problems?
Any back pain?
Numbness or tingling?
Is it the inner leg? Outer leg?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not take any medications- I am 26 and for the most part have had great health. I do have a history of heart disease in my family but I have had physicals and it's proved it be great thus far. I do have black issues and have my whole life- I have a disorder called Kyphosis. I do have knots in my back but try and get massages once a month. The warm sensation is only inside the lower front part of leg but nothing on the outside of the leg. No tingling or numbness that I can notice at this point but it's been going on for over a week now.

Is there any chance this could be a blood clot?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Is there any swelling in your leg?
Have you recently had any surgery? Recent injury to the leg?
Family history of blood clots?
Any recent long car or plane ride?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

None of the above and I know my mother is on blood thinners as well as my father but I have not had any issues up to this point.

I work in an office and sit a lot- I am elevating it right now. I also think I am in decent shape and try to stay somewhat active and have never experienced anything like this before.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying.

"Classic" symptoms of a blood clot include pain, swelling and discoloration of the leg. What you are describing is not at all suggestive of a clot.

What it sounds more like is a nerve problem. A pinched or irritated nerve can cause a feeling of burning, warmth or tingling.

Nerve problems can arise for many reasons. Diabetes, thyroid disease, vitamin deficiencies, autoimmune problems all will typically cause symptoms in both legs, so these are less likely.

The area that you are describing the warmth is in the distribution of either the L4 or L5 nerve....these are both common areas for pinched nerves to occur in the back. It is possible that this is where it is originating.

I do recommend discussing your symptoms with your doctor. If he/she agrees this sounds nerve related, an EMG/nerve conduction test can be done to determine if and where the nerve is being irritated.

In the meantime, I would use ibuprofen for any possible inflammation that may be occurring.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, the odds of this being a blood clot are slim?

How long can you have a clot before it becomes harmful?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
It does not sound, from your description, like you have a clot.

A clot can be harmful at any time. In fact, the longer that you have it, the less likely that it is going to break off. They become more stable and adherent to the wall of the vein over time and eventually develop a central canal through which blood can flow again.

If you have serious concerns that you may have a clot, a venous doppler (ultrasound) of the leg can be done to rule it out. Go to the emergency room if you start to develop any leg warmth to touch or swelling or if you feel that you truly may have one now.

Otherwise, I would have your doctor take a look tomorrow.

Dr Abby