RAJESH  CHAUHAN
RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor
Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W
15267337

I have had a sore pectoral muscle for months. I was diagonsed

I have had a sore pectoral muscle for months. I was diagonsed with costochondritis about a month ago and an anti-inflammatory was prescribed. The symptoms of the costochondritis have started to lessen, but the pectoral muscle is still sore. I was concerned that the pain may have been in the lymph nodes near my pectoral and not the muscle, but I had a chest x-ray that came back normal. Is it normal for a pectoral muscle to be sore for months at a time?

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I shall be trying my best to help you as much as I can. Could you please help me understand your problem by giving me the following details:

1) For how long are you having these problems and how did it start? Any injury/ heavy exertion/ etc?

2) Where is the maximum pain? Any radiation of this pain?

3) Any cough?

4) For how long have you been noticing lymph nodes? Where exactly are they located and how many and how big are they? Are they painful?

5) Any breast issues?

6) Any other symptoms/ any other significant medical problems/ significant medical history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. The pectoral muscle has been sore on and off for about 4 months. I do not recall a specific incident that injured it such as exercise or heavy exertion.

2. The maximum pain is in the pectoral muscle close to my collarbone. If I press to the left of my collar bone, I can feel the pain. It radiates a bit but not very far.

3. No cough.

4. My lymph nodes are not bothering me currently. I was just curious if the pain might be in the nodes and not the muscle, since I know there are lymph nodes in the chest, but the chest x-ray was normal and my understanding was if there was a blockage in the nodes, it should have shown up.

5. I have mastitis in my left breast that began about 8 months ago when I stopped taking birth control pills (Yasmin). I have since started the pills again about 4 months ago and the mastitis is far reduced. Mammogram and ultrasound of my breasts showed nothing and the gynocologist said that it is likely just fibrocystic changes in my breasts.

6. No other real symptoms or significant medical history. I have a heart murmur, diagnosed about 15 years ago, but have had regular check-ins to ensure no structural changes to the heart, and the most recent one was this past January, and the cardiologist had no concerns.

Thanks.

· What is the type of job you perform?

· Have you given sufficient rest and refrained from exertions?

· Can you feel any swelling over the area of pain over the rib?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not employed and do not engage in any type of heavy lifting or particularly strenous chest exercises.

I have tried to rest, have continued exercising but doing mostly just cardiovascular exercise like brisk walking or jogging.

I can sometimes feel some swelling over the area of pain.

Thanks for all the additional details. Having gone through your further descriptions, I feel that we might be dealing with costochondritis, and maybe Tietze Syndrome, as we have some associated swelling as well.

Usually it is a problem of a short duration, but can be prolonged to several months in some cases. NSAIDs like Advil/ Motrin/ Aleve usually help, but rest is as important and we must not perform activities which might aggravate the pain. Hence you must stop any exercise which brings on this pain or aggravates it. Heating pads are also known to be of some help. Some patients do keep checking frequently if the pain is gone, and that should be avoided, and avoid lifting heavy objects with your arm of the affected side. Given some more time, I think this pain and swelling will settle down.

That said, if the condition gets aggravated or does not ease away say within a week or so, please do get yourself checked up again, so that an appropriate management is instituted, and that we do not miss out any serious conditions.

I hope that this information helps answer your query. Please feel free to inquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can.

Best wishes.