Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

I had a strangulated ovary and my appendix removed 13 days

I had a strangulated ovary and my appendix removed 13 days ago. At my post-op check my doctor told me I was extremely constipated (was having abdominal pain) and after an x-ray he told me I needed to try Laxatives, drink plenty of water, etc. It has been 80 hours of following his directions and nothing is happening except that I have eaten peaches and the half digested peaches and some pills I have taken I have passed. What should i do next?

If you have passed the peaches then you are not completely constipated.

Please consult the doctor again for an ultrasound to check if you really do have a large amount of stool in your rectum. If you do, then you will need to be given a high enema at the hospital to ensure compete evacuation.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is a high enema?

A high enema is an enema where the fluid is inserted higher up in the rectum than you can do at home. This helps the rectum to contract better and expel the stools.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I assume this has to be done by a doctor? I will call in the morning. Thank you!

Yes, this will need to be done by a doctor or a nurse after an ultrasound.

I hope this helps.