Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Hi, my total cholesterol is 188, ldl 89 and hdl 75 with triglycerides

Customer Question

Hi, my total cholesterol is 188, ldl 89 and hdl 75 with triglycerides of 119. Is this okay? I am a 31 year old female.<br /><br />Edited to add- I have a BMI of 21, am a non smoker and have normal blood pressure.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

These are excellent numbers, which means that you are at low risk for cardiovascular disease at this time.

This link is a very good one for your future reference,

But I will be happy to write out the normal values for you if you would like. Please let me know - reply to this post if you would like this or have additional questions related to this subject.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I was just wondering if the 188 total cholesterol level is a bit too close to the 200 mark after which one seems to be considered high?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for replying.

The total cholesterol is just a reading that is determined by adding the LDL and HDL and factoring in a percentage from the Triglyceride level.

So if the HDL is high, and your triglyceride level is good, and your LDL is good, you don't need to worry about the total cholesterol, again as long as it is not over the 200 mark.

If your LDL was higher and your HDL was lower, then it might very well be that the process of getting the HDL higher would lower your LDL and your Total Cholesterol reading - this is because HDL works to lower LDL cholesterol (HDL actually 'picks up and carries' the LDL out of the blood stream).

So because your total cholesterol is made up of a nice HDL level, it is not too high at all.

I hope that helps!