Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

can the zostavax vaccine help prevent herpes 2 breakouts

can the zostavax vaccine help prevent herpes 2 breakouts? i ask because i have access to getting the vaccine and am currently diagnosed with genital herpes. i take acyclovir during breakouts and lysine and olive leaf herbal daily supplements in between to prevent breakouts now, but would love the extra help to prevent breakouts during my vacation this christmas
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Dr B :

I am sorry to inform you, there is no scientific evidence that zostavax will help prevent herpes 2 breakouts, and it will not work for any other form of herpes except herpes zoster

Dr B :

Are you there?

Customer:

do you think there would be any adverse side effects? i mean it is affordable and do you think it would be worth a shot since it helps prevent shingles breakouts

Dr B :

No, if it could be used for this, the drug company would know, and would make a fortune from it if it worked, because it has undergone rigorous testing, but they state it doesn't work for any other type of herpes, so I don't think you should waste your time and money

Dr B :

I wish i had better news, but i think i owe it to you and all people that ask my opinion to be truthful

Dr B :

Is something wrong with your computer? You keep stepping in and out of chat

Customer:

:( yuh thats true. thx for your honesty

Customer:

ive never done this before lol sorry

Dr B :

No problem

Dr B :

You're welcome
Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns

If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT

Customer:

one last thing..

Dr B :

Feel free to ask anything

Customer:

is there anyway someone can get a shot of acycolvir or something similar

Customer:

i mean for times when people are going out of the country or something

Dr B :

You mean , rather than pills?

Customer:

yuh so i wont have to take all the pills with me (the herbal supplements & rx just in case) and im going to be hiking the cinque terre in italy! and i soooo dont want to have to be worrying about taking pills if i at all dont have to

Customer:

i mean i know hospitals do iv's of acyclovir in extreme cases but can they not do a shot? like they do for other prescriptions

Dr B :

Again, I wish I had better news for you, but a shot is not available

Customer:

man! i dont understand the difference between getting an iv of something and getting it in a shot form but ok you're the doc. thx agn

Dr B :

Often drugs that are given intravenously will have different or toxic effects if given intramuscularly, so that is why some drugs are only available thru IV, and some both IV and Intramuscular

Dr B :

You're welcome

Customer:

ok thx agn