Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

Im having pressure in my face, and an over all feeling of

Customer Question

I'm having pressure in my face, and an over all feeling of not being able to do anything. I usually wake up fine adn then as the day goes on, I get tired and just want to lay down. ALso I have been getting really bad headaches in the evening. I am assuming that this is a sinus infection. Is it neccessary to go to the dr for them?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Not everyone needs to go to the doctor for sinus infections. Here is what you can try first to see if it will resolve the issues.

Get Mucinex DM. This is over the counter.
Drink PLENTY of fluid, Warm fluids are good to help liquify the secretions.
Put warm cloths over your sinuses.
Breath in steamy water.

All of these things will help to liquify the secretions and move them out of the sinuses.

If after 1 week of trying the above and you still have the same symptoms, then you will need to see your provider.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to the dr, and got put on Amoxicillin antibiotics. The dr, she was actually a nurse practitioner, told me that if it wasn't clearing up in 3 days to go back and see her. Well, it's hasnt' been clearing up, and in fact the headaches have actualy gotten about 100 times worse. I was wondering if I should wait till I got through with the antibiotics, or if I should call and go back.

Are you taking the Mucinex DM?

Any nasal spray?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not a fan of spraying things up my nose. I had a septoplasty for a deviated spetum and it bothered me spraying things up my nose. . I am taking some tylonal cold and sinus for the headache like the nurse practitioner suggested.

I am concerned about the headaches getting worse like that. With a sinus infection it sometimes takes the antibiotics a little longer to penetrate the sinuses. I usually wait until about 5-6 days before changing anything.

However, if you are getting worse then you should follow up with her. If you were staying the same then I would wait it out a few more days.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been a week since I have started the antibiotics, but yea, the headaches just keep getting worse. . to the point where I can't even hold my eye open
Then you need to go back right away and be re examined!