Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

Why is Fiorinal a controlled class III when Fioricet is not

Customer Question

Why is Fiorinal a controlled class III when Fioricet is not? I know the only difference between them is the asprin ( Fiorinal ) vs acetaminophen ( Fioricet ) Does Tylenol reduce the abuse potential?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Where are you getting the information from? The department of Justice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A pharmacist
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
The DEA, drug enforcement makes that decision, and DEA is part of the Department of Justice. See www.justice.gov/dea
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's not really an answer That's like a parent saying "because I said so" I'm looking for the reason why the drugs are treated different. The facts that made up the DEA answer
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
I understand your frustration - but we as doctors do not make the rules - the DOJ/DEA makes the rules and classifies these medications - we do not - and honestly there are many medication classifications that make absolutely no sense, we just have to abide by the rules - take care - I am opting out - you will probably never find a satisfactory answer - sorry - I was just trying to help you - but it seems like....
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-g1931aq4; Fiorinal contains a small amount of a barbiturate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The both contain butalbital a barbiturate
It turns out, after consulting with the DEA and a connection at NIH, that there is no logic in it and no one knows how or when this stupid classification began. They are identical except in the pain relieving part.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.