Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i have a throbbing pain behind my right knee. It started last

i have a throbbing pain behind my right knee. It started last night and now its worse today. I know have a small soft swelling behind the knee and its very tender to touch and painful, but not unbearable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Have you had a knee injury in the past?
Do you have any swelling in your lower leg?
Is there any warmth or redness to the swelling behind the knee?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have no swelling in lower leg. My left knee has been playing up but the right one is slighly sore i was a nurse and I pu these problems down to heavy lifting. But this is sometging ive never experienced before. There is no redness yet not much to see except for the pain and this slight soft swelling but its a peculiar sensation.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
The swelling may be something called a Baker's cyst. These soft, fluid filled cysts (they feel like a small water balloon) are found in the popliteal fossa, which is the back of the knee.
They arise out of a problem in the knee itself (ie a cartilage tear, for example, which could have occurred years ago).

Other problems that can cause lumps in the back of the knee are aneurysms in the popliteal artery (often you will feel a pumping or your pulse in the lump) or a blood clot.

I strongly encourage you to have your doctor examine you as soon as possible to rule out these last two causes. While much less likely, they need to be ruled out due to the seriousness of the conditions.

Risk factors, as you may know, for blood clots include prolonged immobility, hormone therapy, recent surgery, recent long car rides (over 4-6 hours), family history of blood clots, personal history of previous blood clot, recent injury to the leg.
If you start to develop swelling in that leg, go to the emergency room today.

Otherwise, see your doctor tomorrow if at all possible.
Try to keep your leg elevated as much as possible.

I hope that you feel better.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im now pretty worried about this. Its something ive never experienced before. I will go to my GP tomorrow I just hope its not a blood clot as the tenderness is getting worse. Will it be okay to leave it for another day.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
If the pain is increasing, it may also be a ruptured baker's cyst...

Because I can't examine you, I cannot rule out a blood clot or aneurysm. Usually, a blood clot does not present in the back of the knee, but it can happen.
If the pain is increasing/the lump is increasing in size, you may want to get it checked out today to be safe.

Perhaps your doctor can squeeze you in before the end of the day or you could go to an urgent care.

Dr Abby