Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Ive been feeling lightheaded for the past two weeks. I went

I've been feeling lightheaded for the past two weeks. I went to my ENT and he said he didn't see an infection in my sinuses. I haven't had blood work done for a year but it came back normal for everything when I did.
I do feel like I have a bit of a cold that won't go away, and a sensitivity to bright light. Some of my doctors say this is just anxiety but I am wondering if it could be something else. I feel pressure in my face in my cheeks and jaw. It's very uncomfortable and I am not sure what course of action to take next. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Id like to try and help you but I need a bit more information. When you say "light headed" do you mean actual light headedness, or a sensation that you or the room you are in is spinning/ disequilibrium?

What happened two weeks ago, did you start to have a cold then that is now "the cold that wont go away"?

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medication? If so, what?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it's just a feeling like my head is foggy or light. No spinning.
I had a cold in September that was pretty bad. Turned into a sinus infection. I was on Augmentin and that cleared up the infection but I've had a hard time with my allergies an could not get totally rid of my stuffy nose.

I have Eustachian Tube dysfunction, other than that, I don't have any medical conditions. I've been tested for everything, in some case twice. I may do blood work again since the last time it was done was June of 2009.
I only take Advil when my head hurts. Sometimes I take Zyrtec for my allergies and Nasonex spray.

Hello Addie,

I am sorry, I am stumped myself here. I am going to opt out and refer this question to another Expert. I really hope you get the information you need and you feel better.

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, thank you for trying to help and thank you for your honesty.
Yours,
Addie
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
Susan asked me to take a look at your question:

Do you have any headaches?

Any nausea?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I do get headaches and nausea
I believe that your symptoms are most likely caused by migraine.

Many patients who are self or physician diagnosed with "sinus" headaches actually are suffering from migraines. There is good clinical and published evidence that treating these patients with Imitrex (sumatriptan) is effective.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17379050
http://www.achenet.org/education/patients/allergiesasthmaandmigrainemorethanacasualrelationship.asp

Migraine as a cause of "sinus" pain is too frequently a missed diagnosis. Other symptoms that are associated with migraine are nausea, sensitivity to light or loud noises and dizziness.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about trying Imitrex. If your primary care physician does not feel comfortable prescribing Imitrex for this "sinus" headache, then I would request a referral to a neurologist.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years