Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

What could be the cause of blood in my semen (not my urine)

What could be the cause of blood in my semen (not my urine)? And what Over the counter medication can I take to correct the problem.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.
There can be a lot of causes of blood in semen -
- any trauma to the testicular area,
- infection e.g of the epididymus, prostate, urethra etc
- polyps of urethra
- kidney stone
- cyst etc of seminal vescicles
- rarely tumors of the prostate, urethra etc
In most cases there might not be any particular cause. I would recommend you to consult your doctor to know the cause and then start treatment accordingly.
Warm regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I feel that the answer was very generic and was trying to redirect me to a clinic or private doctor. So I must ask more specifically, as I did before "What over the counter Antibiotic Medicine can be used to clear up and infection"?

Please DO NOT attempt to get another $10 dollars from me.
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Before the treatment for blood in the semen can be started, it is important to find the cause first. Because infection is not the only reason for blood in the semen, it is not recommended to take antibiotics until infection is confirmed. Also if, indeed, there is an infection present, it is important to know where it is coming from because duration of treatment and antiobiotics vary based on that information. But most importantly, there are no antibiotics which are sold over-the-counter, they are only available by a prescription through a doctor.

Besides infection, there are many other causes which can cause blood in semen. They include a tumor in the bladder, prostate, or testes; stones in the prostate; obstruction in the ejaculation ducts, along with other causes.

Because of all these different possibilities, it is recommended that you see your doctor as we can only suggest what you should but without examining you, it is impossible to pinpoint an exact cause.

You are only charged one $9 fee and the only way we get reimbursed for our work is by you clicking Accept. Otherwise the $9 which you already paid stays with the website.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can assist you with. If I answered your question, please click 'Accept' button.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss