Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

drains in his abdomen draining off pancreatic fluid..incision

My son in law 0f 27 years old has survived necrtoizing pancreatitis. He contracted MERSA and still has drains in his abdomen draining off pancreatic fluid. He also has several abcesses by his incision. he has been ill since June. My grandchildren are 2 years old and 3months old. Is it safe for them to be around him
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

If the antibiotics are finished then he has probably cleared the MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus) ((The bacteria is actually resistant to multpile antibiotics)) As long as there is a danger of MRSA then there should remain "contact precautions". >>These are a series of steps to prevent there being direct physical contact between him and others. Young children would be more at risk for this type of infection because they would tend to have fewer treatment options should they contract this type of infection.

JACUSTOMER-4bmhbsax- :

Hi

Anthony Bray MD :

The three month old would be especially vulnerable to this type of infection.

Anthony Bray MD :

His doctor and medical team can advise you and other family as to his status with regard to infectious disease precautions.

JACUSTOMER-4bmhbsax- :

It sounds like it is too risky for the children to be around him at Thanksgiving

Anthony Bray MD :

I would think it would be difficult at best for the young children to visit him until he has recovered further.

Anthony Bray MD :

It would be awkward I would say but probably not impossible for them to see him if someone were holding them...

Anthony Bray MD :

You could leave word with his nurses with regard to this question and/or bring this up with his attending physician whenever there is a family conference...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that would be the best way to address this question as his attending physician is in the position to best judge his status and potential risk.

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD