Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Are swollen taste buds common in 2 year olds I just noticed

Customer Question

Are swollen taste buds common in 2 year olds? I just noticed my son has several swollen taste buds at the front of his tongue on either side. should I take him to doctor tomorrow or wait a couple days?
Category: Health
Expert:  Donna-moderator replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Questions usually are answered within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers and how many Experts are on the site at the time you posted your question.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green “Accept” button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is also appreciated. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Does you son have any pain, trouble eating or fever?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has a cold at the moment with a cough. He is eating fine, no fever and says that only his tongue hurts which I suppose is to be expected.

I recently also had a similar situation which came and left several times in a month with a sore throat. i was prescribed an antibiotic only after 4 weeks of a persistent sore throat but tested negative for strep and the doctor could not see a full blown infection. The antibiotics did clear up my sore throat though. I asked the doctor whether I was contagious and he seemed to think that it wasn't likely but to be cautious which I was.

thank you,
Karla (Sebi's mom)
I would suggest having your son checked if this does not improve within a day or two. You could use Tylenol or Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) for the discomfort.