Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years
13500761

I am 57 years old. In the last 18 months I have fallen 30 times.

Customer Question

I am 57 years old. In the last 18 months I have fallen 30 times. I have fractured my ankle, my shoulder and injured my knees at hands at various times with these falls. In the last month I have fallen 4 times. I do not get dizzy, lose my balance, feel like I am spinning or any other symptoms I can equate this falling too. My falls are like tripping over something and some times there is a crack in the sidewalk or an uneven floor when I trip but not always. I have had an MRI of my entire spine and head and although I have some mild disc bulging at several levels and some arthritic changes nothing does account for these falls. I am 5ft 7 and weigh 185 pounds. I have hypertension and some mild diabetes that is well controlled. A1c 6.5. I stopped my Pravachol for 6 months to see if this was the problem but continued to fall. I occasionally take ultram for arthritic pain but not enough to account for the falls. My arthritis is degenerative and not rheumatic. I am also on Lisinipril and Corguard for BP. I have checked my BP and Pulse immediately after falling and they have been normal. I had an ENG of the cervical spine and it did show some "areas of pinched nerves" in my left arm but this of course does not explain my falling. What could this be and what sreps should i be taking next.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

I believe your difficulty with walking is actually due to peripheral neuropathy, even though lately your diabetes has been well controlled. You may benefit from some occupational and rehabilitational therapy so that you are given alternative means for knowing what position your feet are in and what terrain they are stepping over.

There are many steps that should be taken for home safety - remove all rugs as they can be tripped over. All cords should be stowed away from the floor. There should be nothing placed on the floor that you can trip over. I do recommend a single story home and especially having laundry on the first floor.

Continue keeping your diabetes under excellent control!

Dr. E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know it is not diabetic neuropathy. I am controlliing that really well was diagnosed at age 50 and every A!C has been low. My highest fasting is 120 ans after eating my highest is 160. What would be your next thought

Despite very good A1Cs neuropathy can still occur - the definitive test will be nerve conduction studies.

Dr. E

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not convinced this is diabetic neurophathy because I have no numbness or tingling in my feet. If diabetic neuropathy is not the cause what else could be the cause. I also have some twitching in my left hand that comes and goes and muscle cramping off and on in my legs and arms. My electolytes are normal.