CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

My rib pain..my rib....had my gall bladder & appendix removed

What is right sided rib pain? My rib pain seems to be under my rib....had my gall bladder & appendix removed. suffer from endometriosis...removed twice through belly button. hurts from standing long periods of time. feels like something pulling my ribs. mid back area radiation with numbness.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Does it hurt more when you take a deep breath?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You may have something called costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage of the rib cage. It can be temporary ( a few weeks) or can be long lasting ( several months to years) and depending on the extent of the inflammation, can be quite painful. Costochondritis responds very well to anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) and the use of ice packs (bags of frozen vegetables at 15 minute intervals are very helpful), and gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles two to three times a day. Here is an article to read that will help you to compare your symptoms: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626 I hope this information helps you , please let me now if I can help you further:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
What has the Doctor told you is causing your rib pain? What tests have been done to try to find the cause?

Edited by CamilleRN on 11/1/2010 at 11:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not really anything. I have had so many issues lately that it has been ongoing follow up appointments. I feel bad to ask about anything more. I know it is not costochondritis due to already treated for that. My PT seems to think it is scar tissue. It feels as if it is pulling at my ribs or under my ribs like deep. I have had my gall bladder and appendix removed as well as laparascopy to remove endometriosis and suffer from a lot of pain from that. It hurts if I press down under my rib and take a deep breath. I am wondering if it is scar tissue and don't know what to do about it. It also hurts worse if I stand for long periods of time. It seems that I cannot get any relief today and I am going crazy with this. I feel so burnt out on going to the doctors and having more test done. I have a lot of numbness in my hands and feet and my mid back. I had a EEG done by my neuro. and I have paroneal palsy in my left leg. It just feels so heavy at times. Hope this helps
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry you are going through so much. All the symptoms you have with the ribs are so suggestive of costochondritis... but you are right, it may also be adhesions.. which is scar tissue. The treatment for adhesions is more surgery... and this is sometimes a problem because utting out adhesions often leads to more adhesions. Does ice help? Have you tried flexall 454? This product is amazing and may help quite a bit with your discomfort.
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp10366/flexall/maximum_strength_pain_relieving_gel.htm?brand=9761
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can this last this long? It just seems like it won't go away. I have iced...I think it is called Sombrero cream?? from my chiropractor and Biofreeze. Okay, I will try to take Ibuprofen but sometimes it makes my stomach hurt. TY
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
you are very welcome... I really hope you feel better soon.