A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Just how much pain and discomfort can hip bursitis cause I

Just how much pain and discomfort can hip bursitis cause? I am limping, whole leg feels weak. Spine exams including myelogram rule out disc issues. I have had the bursitis for many months and it is nonresponsive to injections.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Bursitis can cause significant discomfort. Generally it responds to steroid injections into the bursa and oral corticosteroids and other anti-inflammatories. Your medical provider may want to have a look at a CT or MRI of the hip to see if there is something else going on in addition to bursitis.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MRI and XRAY show no arthritis. There is a labral tear but that has been ruled out as the source of the type and location of pain. When you say significant discomfort can you identify where? Just hip, lateral thigh? Buttocks? THanks

Hip bursitis hurts within the hip joint. That is the main source of the pain. Of course, pain can radiate to other places, but pain in the buttocks is more likely to be sciatica than hip bursitis though. Sciatic pain does radiate to the buttocks and down the thigh.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pain isn't in the buttocks. It is over the large "joint" at the base of the butttocks. The pain is not tingling or like pins and needles and ends at the knee. Can hip bursitis radiate down the outer thigh?

Generally pain from bursitis does not radiate that far. It tends to stay within the area of the hip. I would suggest a second opinion from another orthopedist if this has been going on for several months without relief.