Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I have been having chest pains and my doctor has suggested

I have been having chest pains and my doctor has suggested an anti depressant like lexpro. I'm not depressed and do not want to take them. I do have anxiety but am working on natural ways of dealing with that like deep breathing. My question is would aleeve or advil or some other over the counter pain medicine help with the chest pain symptoms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this pain? Do you have any other illness or cardiovascular problem? How severe is your chest pain in 1 to 10 scale? Any other symptoms? Was there any test for it? Is it a sharp pain or burning pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had on and off pain for 90 days. It is sometimes worse than others and in different spots. Behind the breast bone mainly but also in my chest muscels stomache, neck and sometimes back. I have not had any tests for it. In stressful situations it is worse and also seems worse while sitting. Some shortness of breath. Exercise does not seem to bother me at all. When I get really anxious a xanex seems to help but I think the pain is causing the anxiety because it scares me amd I worry about what is wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

The pattern of pain that you are describing here does not seem to be related to heart.However, getting ECG, cardiac exam and possibly stress test would be appropriate if you have any cardiovascular risk factor.

There are few positive signs such as no change with exercise but improvement with xanax, it certainly suggest somatic symptoms that can be a part of anxiety/depression. You have already tried GERD medication with no improvement, so I would not emphasis on this, but if you can make it then, getting upper GI endoscopy may eliminate GIT causes which may present like this. My suggestion is that you need to have investigation to rule out cardiac, GIT and musculoskeletal causes before declaring it as somatic symptoms. Sometimes, just musculoskeletal pain/costochondritis may cause such pain which can be taken care with rest and OTC anti inflammatory pain meds. Although it does not look like any heart or GIT related but getting follow up would be appropriate.
As far as anxiety and depression meds are concerned, if everything come back normal, then taking these meds will help you to eliminate this somatic symptom.

Press green button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At this point I am convinced it is not GIT or Heart related pains and would like to try an OTC pain med and see what kind of a result I get. What would you recommend? I have heard Asprin is good for the heart anyway. Would that be the best to try?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
In that condition, you might be thinking it as a musculoskeletal pain. Aspirin would be great, but there are many other option such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen that you can look around.
Dr. Shah, Doctor