Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

i have been feeling a slight tingling or numbness in my groin.

i have been feeling a slight tingling or numbness in my groin. this started a few months back when i had a sleep issue which still hasn't gone away but is much better. i was prescribed xanax and took it for a month. (july) 1 mg a night to help with sleep. well as you can imagine when i came off which was the end of july, i had insomnia worst than ever. i went almost 5 days without sleep at first. during these types of stretches with no or very little sleep i would get numbness or tingling in my groin and sometimes hypersensitivity in my arms. if i didn't sleep well for consecutive days i would get it. sleep has gotten allot better and have been averaging 1 day a week that i dont sleep well. last week however I had 3 . then i slept for 4 days straight. today i feel that same numbness or tingling but I slept and have been sleeping for the past 4 nights. is this from sleep debt? is this some reaction still from the xanax?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It seems that since the very beginning of your symptoms (numbness/tingling in the groin), your doctors have treated you for anxiety. Anxiety often causes symptoms of numbness and tingling in different areas of the body.

Sleep deprivation definitely adds to increased anxiety and, therefore, can worsen your symptoms which is probably why you have been having more of them when you are not sleeping well. However, anxiety and the symptoms which it brings are not necessarily related to sleep deprivation, they can be caused by any type of stress or if you are prone to anxiety, the symptoms can come from no specific cause.

So to answer your question more specifically, your symptoms are related to anxiety. Sleep deprivation will make them worse but sleep deprivation is not the only reason why anxiety and your symptoms can get worse. I do not believe that your symptoms are at all related to being off Xanax.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,