Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

My wife has a bacteria infection in her PICC line. Every time

Customer Question

My wife has a bacteria infection in her PICC line. Every time when we do flushing ( once a day ) she has severe fever of 40C for few hours.
Our doctor recommends to maintain PICC line and take antibiotics until situation improves to the point that she doesn't suffer from such fever. We cannot do that as these fevers are unbearable.
Do you believe that antibiotics ( she is already 9th day on it , but flushings brong the same fever raise ) will eventually cleanup the PICC line system, or we need to remove this ASAP ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Since she has an infection in the PICC line, and the antibiotics are NOT working for her, the treatment is REMOVAL of the PICC line.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We need the PICC line back very soon. Is there any way to install new PICC line in Ontario without DM referral ? The thing is that we installed this PICC line in Mexico and currently undergo biological treatment as opposed to orthodox chemotherapy. Can we get any help in Canada to install the PICC line, aside of dealing with our oncologist who won't prescribe it unless we go for chemotherapy ?

Can we go to USA without DM referral and install it ther at will ?

Please, help

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I am in the US, and PICC lines are usually placed on Interventiinal Radiology suites. You will need to see a doctor in the U.S. so that a prescription can be placed for a PICC line placement to be done by an Interventional radiologist.