A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

i took 12.5mg of atenolol and 1mg of klonopin at 9 and now

Customer Question

i took 12.5mg of atenolol and 1mg of klonopin at 9 and now i have no energy all i can do is lay down and alittle lightheaded why how can i relieve this hr is good at 70
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Do you get sufficient exercise (at least 30-60 minutes most days of the week) preferably outdoors so you can get some sunshine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes go for walks but today i am to lazy to get out of bed i was out this morning

Then it is difficult to say what the problem is. You have been on both the medications long enough that it would not be side effects from either of them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it my anxiety do i need more klonopin
No, you don't need more Klonopin.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what should i do

Try getting up and moving around some, read a book, watch a movie, call a friend, and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i get up i feel worst lightheaded

Then get up slowly. Sit for a while with your feet dangling before trying to get up.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi i have been having panic attacks so my doctor gave me atenolol now he changed my klonopin to 4mg of xanax why is xanax better

It isn't any better than Klonopin. It is a shorter-acting anxiolytic. It's too bad you can't take any of the effective long-acting anxiolytic medications like SSRI and SNRIs.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now i have to take it every 6hrs that sucks i tryed to get ssri he said try this for a month will this stop attacks
It may stop attacks. Try it and see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i forget to take it will i get a rebound effect

No. If you take it for a while and then forget to take it, you will get withdrawal symptoms.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont thing this is good for long term is it i just want one pill a day not 4 this sucks i am taking cbt to started yesterday

CBT should help you to deal with anxiety long term and perhaps allow you to get off all medications.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i hope so or just take as needed will be great i would like to get off atenolol i am so tierd my hr is low 55 to 60

If you get the anxiety straight, you should feel a whole lot better.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its hard i get to many side effects i have been trying for 3years so i think meds but what kind is going to be safe and work and easy to get off if i can bens are not for long term what damage do they do i read internet not for long term what is for long term

SSRI and SNRIs are for long term use with the best safety and side effect profile. If the anxiety is over, you can always taper off, or they can be taken for years at a time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is a good one for panick attacks

Any one of them is good for anxiety, which is the source of panic attacks. The benefit of SSRI and SNRIs is that they prevent panic attacks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I still take atenolol I think I get lightheaed with it after 2hrs and last for 6hrs at night I feel great all I took was 12mg of atenolol and 1mg klonopin in the morning at 8 and from 10 to 4 tired dizzy and feel great after 4 is this from atenolol how can I find out

It is extremely unlikely that the symptoms come from atenolol since it is such a minuscule dose. It just isn't enough to cause such symptoms.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is it then the klonopin and atenolol mix happens every day same time

What it is is probably uncontrolled anxiety. Until you get that under control, you will continue to have symptoms.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought the 1mg of klonopin should work for 8hrs shouldn't happen 2hrs after take it should be the strongest why after I don't take it the rest of the day I feel good

Anxiety that isn't well controlled with Klonopin would be the best bet. Klonopin has an extremely long half-life. After a week of taking it twice a day, you should have steady state so that the concentration is the same regardless of when you take the pills. In effect, you always have the same level of medication in your body 24/7. If you still have anxiety after a week of using it regularly, then Klonopin just isn't working for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I only take it once a day but at night I don't think I need it

Klonopin's half life is 18-50 hours, so whether you take it once a day or twice a day is immaterial. It reaches steady state and you always have the same amount in your body. If you are still having anxiety/panic attacks a week after using it regularly, then it isn't doing the job of controlling the anxiety disorder.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would I need more than 1mg a day to work

There is no way to tell until you try it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My doctor wants me to take 1mg xanax 4 times a day

You won't know how you react to it until you try it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
itsnt that alot abd for as needed no al day of taking it

The idea is to prevent panic attacks. You don't want to have to treat one after it has begun. It has to be taken several times a day to do that. THe dose is fairly typical.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i woke up last night took one and in a hour my hr was still high i had to take atenolol to slow it down i guess nothings working

If you are taking atenolol daily your heart rate should not be too fast.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i only took 12.5mg at 8am and at 4am i woke up with hr fast should i take it at night to how long does it last i was told i can take 25mg so is it best to take 25mg in the morning or twice half a day

If you take it regularly, it doesn't matter one bit whether you take 25 mg once a day or 12.5 mg twice a day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i take 25 in thr morning it will work better in the morning and wear off at night when i had mt attack i forgot to take 2nd pill that was why it went up i guess how many hr apart if i take 2 times

Then you should take it twice a day at the same time each day. Likewise the anxiety medication should be taken on a regular schedule.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i take xanax every 4hr and am tired all day can i take 25mg in the morning so i dont forget or will it be to much if so how far apart take atenolol i guess it doesnt work 24hrs ay 12mg or that attack would not have happened

Atenolol works 24/7 after someone has been on it for a week or two, but you don't seem to believe the laws of pharmacodynamics apply to you, so you need to take it twice a day, 12 hours apart.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so why did my hr go up after not taking one dose 12mg is not enought i guesss i need the 25mg
Anxiety.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
while sleeping i tok my klonopin that night how do i get control of anxiety

By taking medication regularly - the ones you are prescribed. Right now I believe your doctor prescribed Xanax 4 times a day and atenolol. Give one medication combination a fair trial which is two weeks of taking it exactly the same way every day. Switching drugs, amounts, and times is just chaos for your body. There is also no way to tell what works and what doesn't if you don't stick to a schedule.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

after

t

he

after the 3rd day i am feeling lightheaded is this from changing from klonopin to xanax i take every 5hrs

There is no way to tell for sure, especially since you have felt lightheaded so often on so many different medications.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I find out get back on klonopin and use xanax as needed cause its faster acting I was doing better on 2mg klonopin I thinkor the xanax and atenolol by hr seems in control my hour is 50 to 60 resting seems low can that be to slow

No. You give what you are currently taking at least a week to work, taking it as directed. Side effects (if they are side effects of Xanax) should disappear over that time if that is what is causing lightbeadedness. However, remember that you were also lightheaded on Klonopin. Heart rate usually does just fine until it gets down into the 40s. When it is low, you should drink more fluids and move around more (very carefully).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since my hour is 50 or 60 can I still take atenolol again todayslow hour will not be the problem if the stand foe over a hour I get dizzy to any idears why

I really don't know why you get dizzy standing for lengths of time. That is something your local doctors should investigate since they have you available for testing and we cannot do that online. One reason can be vascular problems (defective valves in the legs that allow the blood to pool in the extremities).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can that be do to pots i dont understand that to much but seeing doctot in feb dont want to wait that long for answers about pots and what to do

There are dozens of things that can be prescribed for POTS. Benzodiazepines and beta blockers are just two. Read the following article for some more ideas.

http://www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if my hr is below 60 can i take my atenolol again or will it go to low and be lazy with low hr

There is no way to tell what it will do unless you take it for at least a week so you can eliminate side effects as a cause of low heart rate and lightheadedness.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i mean my atenolol
Same thing. You need to take both of them to see what they will do long term together.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am going to try to get on something i dont have to take 4 times a day and have something as needed only i will call him moday i am to tired and if i forget to take it i get dizzy 30 mins later its gone but then i sleep for a hour maybe a ssri right any idea witch ones are good i think all day about the next attack and have not have one in weeks but think to much

Fluoxetine (Prozac) or paroxetine (Paxil) would be good choices.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i called him last week told him i was lazy he told me take every 6hr now i need it every 4hrs i dont want to get addicted and eat them like candy when i dont feel right how long does prozak take to work and can i take xanax to until it works what is a starting point in mgs

Prozac takes up to a month to determine exactly how much a given dose will help. It is normally started at 20 mg per day taken in the morning. Xanax can be used for panic attacks while starting it. Within a week or two, Xanax is discontinued. By the end of the month, someone should be JUST on Prozac.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and the attacks should not come back if working will i have to try alot of diffeance ones are they safe do any have more sideeffects than others

They don't have the amount of side effects of benzodiazepines. You may need to try more than one to find the one that works best for you. That is common with a lot of different kinds of medications.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what are the dif from one ssri than the other

The difference is that one will work for one person and another will work better for the next person. There isn't one that is any better than the other or worse than the other.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they take the same time to work

Prozac and Paxil do. Some of the others are slower or a little faster. None should be expected to be fully functional before a month, although someone may start to feel better in as little as a week. That is when any other anxiolytic is tapered off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so i will never be able to take xanax anymore if sttack comes on when using ssri

You shouldn't need to since Prozac prevents panic attacks. Your CBT will also help you to understand that no one ever died from a panic attack. Most people can learn to talk themselves down, some even without any medication. It all depends on the person.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats what i am trying to do with him is there things i can do to slow hr when in a attack so even if my hr is 50 to 60 its safe to take 12.5mg again or wait until the morning or i dont want it to go to low if its 50 it could go down to low right

Slow, deep breathing, meditation, keeping busy with something interesting that takes your mind off your physical self. People who have anxiety are super-tuned to any little quirk in their bodies that other people don't even think about and therefore don't even notice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i understand so i will take it and hope it doesnt lower hr to much

Good luck. I hope you have a good evening.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just woke up with my heart racing at 100 getting scared its going to get higher so i took 1mg of xanax hope it helps

I hope so as well. I also hope your CBT goes well so that when this happens you can talk yourself down instead of taking medication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it went down to 60 after 2hrs of being up all night i called my axirty doctor to tell him this is not working been on itt a week is that enough time its worst if i dont

take it ever 4 hrs i feel bad i hope he can give me something i only have to take once a day and somrthing as needed only i dont understand why gr went up when i took atenolol 3hr earlier i been up looking on the internet and they say it can be caused by low potassium my test last year was alittle low but they never was worried about it it was 3.9 low normal at that time but it could go low durring attacks and i eat alot of salt for pot does that lower pottasium is there a way to check at home first

There are not reliable home tests for electrolytes - it's a blood test. Electrolyte imbalance would be a cause for ongoing problems, not something that kicks in now and then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is 1 week long enough for 4mg xanax to work why would my hr go up after taking atenolol after 3hrs

There is no way to tell why anxiety comes on and causes problems. Atenolol is doing all that it can do for heart rate if you have been on it regularly twice a day for a week. It regulates heart rate if there is a problem with the electrophysiology of the heart. It cannot keep the heart beating slowly when anxiety causes a rush of neurostimulators to be secreted.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you help with new question no answers in 2hrs please can you look it up so i dont pay twice