Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

liver and gallbladder ultrasound and all was normal

I've been on klonipin for 8 yrs for anxiety, approx 2 mg/day. #1) I've had elevated liver enzymes at times and normal at times since being on it. I had a liver and gallbladder ultrasound and all was normal. Is klonipin more than likely responsible for this, seeing that I had always had normal liver enzyme levels until taking klonipin? Does it cause major or permanent damage to the liver. Also, I started weening myself off klonipin, dropping down to 1.25 mg/day for 7-8 days now and I've been getting light headed when I go to lie down or get up fast. Is this a normal withdrawal symptom.
Hows your blood pressure and pulse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It runs from 105/65 to 115/75, I'm on avapro to keep my bp low. I have IGA Nephropathy, but have never had this weird feeling of light headedness. I have had normal lightheadedness when first starting out on avapro until the Dr. got my dosage right. 37.5 mg/day and have not had it since. It's been 7 yrs with no problem. This is a much weirder feeling, which began about 2-3 days after lowering my klonipin intake. My pulse rate runs 60-65 resting.

Thanks for your reply.

Well your assumption is very right, klonipin is know to cause transient changes in the liver enzymes. As i said these are transient so hopefully they will come back to normal once you are off from klonopin.

Dizziness and lightheadeness are one of the common withdrawal symptoms of klonipin. Well there are other things like orthostatic hypotension which can cause these symptoms in someone who is taking blood pressure medications but definitely more likely it seems to be klonipin withdrawal as you mentioned that you got it just after you decreased the dose.

Drink plenty of liquids.

I strongly suggest that you should be under your doctor care for its withdrawal. I wish you good luck and good health.

Please click ACCEPT if you found this useful.

Dr Hasan