Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

November 1, 2010 Dear Dr. Wilson, In my last question,

November 1,XXXXX Wilson,

In my last question, you advised me to take Metamucil to stop the diarrhea caused by my baths with MgSO4. Should I take the Metamucil BEFORE or AFTER bathing with MgSO4? I am also planning to use PEPTO-BISMOL to help with the diarrhea. Like the Metamucil, should I take the PEPTO-BISMOL BEFORE or AFTER a bath with MgSO4 to get the most out these antidiarrheal products? If you have any ideas about timing (For example, take Metamucil 15 minutes before/after a bath), please let me know.

Sincerely,

Customer
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
I don't remember saying anything about Magnesium baths...
But, you can use the Metamucil at any time of the day - this is basically a fiber product that bulks your stool up to a more solid form.
Peptobismol coats your stomach to help with ulcers...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The label on the bottle of Pepto-BISMOL indicates that this product is also effective in treating the following 5 ailments. 1) NAUSEA, 2) HEARTBURN, 3) Indigestion, 4)Upset Stomach, and 5) DIARRHEA. Ailments in capital letters pertain to me. Nausea, and Heartburn go away instantly when I take Pepto-Bismol. My question is: How long does it take for Pepto-BISMOL to arrest diarrhea?

Sincerely,

Customer

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Pepto Bismol is not something that I really see helping with diarrhea - you might want to try a product called Imodium or Lomotil for diarrhea and combing with Metamucil should help you.
Thank you for your question.