Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

my left leg has gone numb three..knee to just above the ankle..calf

Starting today, and having never experienced this before, my left leg has gone numb three to four times. The numbness is only located just below the knee to just above the ankle and predominantly around the left side of my calf muscle and onto the front left shin area. But there is also a slight numbness around the rest of the calf muscle. There are no pins and needles, and no real pain. Numb to the touch right down my shin bone. I am an animator so i sit at a desk for most of the day, but have been doing so for 3 years and have never had this happen before. I am 29 years old, Male, 85 - 90 Kilograms. 1.85Meters.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question .
Well as you describe there may be possibility of pinched nerve which result in numbness

The area of numbness you describe comes from the peroneal nerve, which is on the outside of the leg just below the knee, and can cause numbness in the region you describe.

It can come from compression of the peroneal nerve at the knee due to prolonged sitting in same position and frequent legs crossing .

In the meantime you should take proper rest

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen

Physical therapy like deep heat ,traction ,interferential therapy .

I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The anti-inflammatory ibuprofen you suggested, is it available at a Chemist or would i need a doctors script?

Also, how necessary is a visit to the doctors. My medical aid has run out, so avoiding a visit would help my bank balance, unless you think it is serious enough that i need to visit. Otherwise, is it something i can monitor over the next few days?

Also, proper rest would mean taking time off work? Would be quite difficult with a heavy deadline we are facing. I have been working most weekends and on average 12 hour days
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 5 years ago.
Well as you describe you should take short breaks of rest while doing work .
Avoid prolonged sitting in same position .
Motrin (anti-inflammatory ibuprofen) is available at over the counter.
You can opt for physical therapy .
Do regular exercises and stretching .
If your symptoms 'll persist then you need to be seen by a doctor for further evaluation and management.