Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hello, for the past 9 years, I have had a lump in the back

for the past 9 years, I have had a lump in the back of my head (I know I should have consulted a doctor earlier, but I was scared of that "moment of truth"). It appeared quite suddently (one day I just felt it there, where there was nothing the day before, at exactly the size it is now: 1.5 cm wide). It feels like hardened skin. Hairs grow on it, just like it grows on the rest of my scalp. It has not grown in size during those 9 years. Although sometimes I feel it is slightly bigger (it's hard to tell), it appears to go back to its original size afterwards.

Sometimes I feel a slight pain coming from the region of my lump, but i'm not sure if it is because I am thinking about it (it worries me even if I've had it for alot of years). I say that I'm not sure of the slight pain because when if I think about a headache, I will feel one; and if I think about having a tumour on the tip of my noise, or anywhere else, I will feel the same type of pain in that region.

I have a consultation with a doctor planned for the 27th of November, but I'm quite scared by it, i'm afraid he'll tell me I have some sort of slow-evolving tumour that I've avoided for too long. So i'm asking a question here to have a sort of transition between now and the "moment of truth". I hope 30$ is enough, I'm a student and don't have much money. Sorry if that part about being a student and not having much money is annoying (people could say things like that alot, I don't know).

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Olivier H.

Hello Olivier H,

This is not likely to be cancerous or slow growing tumor. The most likely cause for it can be following;

1) Dermoid cyst which are very common on scalp.

2) Sebaceous cyst

3) Fibrolipoma

All of these are benign (non cancerous) and not concerning. Please do not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun