Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

What do you thinkabout a small mass in the left axillary not

What do you thinkabout a small mass in the left axillary not showing up on a ultra sound or in a mammogram? What do you think it is and why didn't it show up? The technician said she could feel it and even tell when she ran over it with the wand. It is palable from the family Doctors and palable to the surgeon. Is it better that it didn't show up on those tools or worse? Family history of breast cancer. I have thyroid nodules with lymph nodes showing in region 3 and 2. I have positive ana for RA, Lupus, and Sjogrens. In the submandlar gland I have lymph node predomintely. Negative biopsies so far for the thyroid.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Sometimes mammograms do NOT pick up everything - so you should have a biopsy to see exactly what is happening. Thyroid biopsies usually have no bearing on breast biopsies - most likely this is a benign lump/mass, but it should be biopsied.
Thank you for your question, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What type of tissue does the ultra sound and the mammo show instead nothing showing up ?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
This really depends on who is doing the ultrasound, this could have been missed. And, hence when you are feeling something, and it is not being detected on a scan - then an exam and a biopsy is required. So, unlikely it was 'missed' just not scanned appropriately.