Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have a condition that I suspect is cellulitis on my leg,

I have a condition that I suspect is cellulitis on my leg, on my right foot, on the upper quadrant of my left arm and on my chest. I have a picture of the sores on my leg that I could forward to you if you could look at it.

I have: hypertension and pre-diabetes. I also am taking meds for an enlarged prostate.

Anyway, if there is any chance that this is cellulitis, I need to know now. I am a teacher and I presume that I need to be off work if it is cellulitis. As it is now, I can't stand the itching all over my body. Showers don't even help.

Is there a way that I can send you the picture of the leg?

Thank you.

You can use the tree icon to upload photographs however from your description of multiple sites then it is highly unlikely that this is cellulitis.

Cellulitis is a bacterial infection that causes an area of skin to become red, hot, tender and occasionally swollen. It tends to occur around areas of damaged skin so having one area around the sores would be more likely to be cellulitis.

Areas of red, itchy skin across different areas of the body may be an allergic reaction, eczema or a different type of skin condition which may include fungal or viral infection.

If it is itchy then an oral antihistamine plus perfume-free moisturizer or anti-itch cream would be the first action.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Thanks for the photograph, it does look cellulitic in nature from this view. I would suggest that you draw a line around the outer margins of the red area, this will show you if it is spreading. You will need to see a doctor today for a closer inspection and more definitive diagnosis. If it is cellulitis then you need to start treatment as soon as possible.

It would not be contagious if under your clothing, but usually cellulitis is so painful that people cannot function at work so time off work is usual. Your doctor will be able to give you a more accurate recommendation once he/she inspects the leg.