CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have tintinutis and have this contual hissing in my head,

I have tintinutis and have this contual hissing in my head, I have had it for months and it seems to be getting louder. If there anything I can do to reduce the hissing. Can this be dangerous?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. No, it's not dangerous at all. Unless a definitive cause is known and can be eliminated, such as a high blood sugar... or a sensitivity to a certain food...or a toxicity to a medication or other substance, Tinnitus is treated with noise substitution. Has your Doctor fully investigated the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
High blood sugar is not a problem. What types of food or toxicity to what medications can cause this?. What is noise substitution? Thank you
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
ANy kind of food can cause it...it's a matter of knowing which food or spice or additive you may be allergic to that is causing it, if this is the case. Medications also can cause an allergic or toxic reaction that can lead to tinnitus.. different people are affected by different chemicals, foods , medications etc. Noise cancellation is a substitute noise... like a desk fan which makes a soothing rush of air sound that can cancel out the tinnitus sounds you hear. Have you seen an Ear /Nose /Throat Doctor to try to find out the cause of the tinnitus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not seen an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor as yet. What types of test would they recommentd and are they invasive?

thanks very much, it is so great to have someone to talk to with your caliber of expertise.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
First he will look in your ears possibly with a high powered magnifier, this doesn't hurt at all.... depending upon what he sees..it could be a matter of a build up of wax causing this problem... if so, he will remove it, also painlessly. If further visualization is needed you may be asked to undergo a CT scan, which is like an Xray and doesn't hurt at all. You may be asked to take a hearing test so he can determine which , if any frequency is presenting a problem. All of the examination information he collects from testing will direct the care you will benefit most from.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.