Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hello - I am a 62 year old female and have foot pain when standing

Hello - I am a 62 year old female and have foot pain when standing on my feet for more than 15 minutes. The ball of my feet seem to be the problem but lately the pain is more severe and has moved to the top of my feet as well. I went to a podiatrist several years ago who provided injections that did help some - but was later advised that my only option was to have foot surgery and kill the nerves???. Can you possibly tell me what might be the problem and if surgery is the only option. I can no longer walk for exercise, shop or buy groceries if it takes more than 15-30 minutes on my feet. I take Tylenol, asprin and Aleeve several times a day. Please help me to find relief and the cause of the problem if possible. I know this is very limited information but hope you can make suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

This can be Morton's neuroma, which is a nerve condition. The other possibilities to be considered are metatarsalgia and Intermetatarsal bursal fluid collections. X-rays may be needed and if they are not conclusive, an MRI is needed for the confirmation of the Morton's neuroma. Read the resources;

http://www.podiatrychannel.com/mortonneuroma/index.shtml

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

Following measures may help you (in all the three conditions: Morton's neuroma, metatarsalgia, Intermetatarsal bursal fluid collections);

1) soft-soled shoes with a wide toe box and low heel
2) cryotherapy,
3) ultrasound (iontophoresis, phonophoresis),
4) deep tissue massage, and
5) stretching exercises

6) steroid shots (which you had already)

You need to take active help of physical therapist for the management.

In Morton's neuroma, if above measures are not helpful, surgery is needed to remove the neuroma.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun