Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I have been having a very irregular heart rate now for 3 days.

I have been having a very irregular heart rate now for 3 days. I have had events of atrial fib in the past. I've been expecting these symptoms to pass as they usually do but they have not. My cardiologist is 40 miles away and this is Sunday. There is a local hospital but I don't know if they can treat me. Oh, I did take .25 mg of digoxin the last two mornings. I have had shortness of breath when lying down but no angina at all. Do you have a recommendation?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.

you should definitely go to the emergency room to have this evaluated. You need to have an EKG done to assess what your heart rhythm is and how best to go about treating it. You may require medications to slow down your heart rate if it is fast and if you are in A.fib you may need to be cardioverted unless it does so on its own. If if is A.fib there is a chance that you may have a stroke from it therefore you need to be seen. So please go to your local hospital. I also recommend that you take an Aspirin if you are already not taking any blood thinners for this.