Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My mother has Dementia,still lives alone,and we are trying

My mother has Dementia,still lives alone,and we are trying to decide whether we feel confident in a Neurologist prescribing her 500mg of Keppra,due to her "Irratable EEG" findings. Scares us to death! I can only find this drug being used for Epilepsy and seizures.NOTHING saying "Used for Dementia". What is your opinion,please,give us peace of mind! Linda
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
What symptoms (if any) was she having that prompted the neurologist to do the EEG?

Have you talked to the neurologist about your concerns?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay,there seemed to be "Irratability" n the EEG. I have not received the copy of results as yet. I havae not "Questioned" the Dr. as yet on the dosage!.
Why did they do the EEG - Was she having some new problems/symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She had an EEG because "he is a Neurologist"(??????) We were told it is the first step he takes to determine if in fact she is having Dementia. He saw an irregularity in the connections(??????) No! she just has basic Dementia problems,speech,memory,etc.
Generally Keppra is NOT used for dementia (and it is not FDA approved for treatment of dementia)

I would suggest speaking to this physician about your concerns. If you are not happy with the answers, I would suggest getting a second opinion.

This is NOT the standard of care.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years