Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about a month ago and

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about a month ago and have noticed it is not just localized to the center of my chest, but the pain also sometimes radiates out into my upper left chest. Today, however, I am having a lot of pain much closer to my shoulder and my left arm has been getting that pins-and-needles feeling on and off. Could this also be a result of costochondritis or is it likely to be something else? I would almost think I pulled my pectoral muscle, but I haven't done anything to pull it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.

The pins and needles feeling is most likely secondary to a nerve involvement this can be from the costochondritis if it is inflamed and compressing on a vein or it could be due to another cause such as cervical impingement, thyroid disorder, diabetes, electrolyte imbalance, vitamin deficiency, etc. I would recommend that you be seen by a doctor within this next week to make sure that it isn't anything else that would require more medical attention. In the meantime try to rest that arm as much as you can. You can also try to see if stretching your neck and arm helps in relieving any nerve compression that may be the cause.

Regards.