Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i am getting chills in both of my legs. there is a bit of pain

i am getting chills in both of my legs. there is a bit of pain in my right leg also. This is making me very uncomfortable sitting and even at night while sleeping it makes me feel cold. What is it
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

If you get up and walk around, do your legs feel better?
Worse?
Any color change to your legs?
What is your age?
Do you have any chronic health problems?
Take any medications?

dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By walking around the chills become better.

There is no visible color change in my leg . I am 33 years of age. I had dengue fever about a month ago.

I have ulcerative colitis.

I dont take any medication apart from multivitamin tablets

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the detail,

One possible cause of your symptoms is something called "restless legs syndrome". While it is more common in people older than you, it can occur in younger adults as well.
The classic symptoms include a difficult to describe sensation in the legs, discomfort, creeping or a feeling that the legs need to be moved. It occurs at rest and is relieved when walking around--therefore it causes difficulty with sleep.

It can be associated with underlying illnessess including iron deficiency anemia, which is more common with colitis.

It does not sound like a circulation problem. This type of issue gets worse when walking and better at rest.

Thyroid problems can cause cold extremities--I would recommend having your level checked as well.

The treatment for restless legs, if this is your diagnosis, includes medications such as Requip or Mirapex, stretches before bed, avoiding caffeine, tylenol or motrin and warm baths before bed.

Here is more information for you about restless legs..

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/restless-legs-syndrome/DS00191

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done my thyroid test. It is at normal levels. Also, do u think it is a sign of diabetes.

I rechecked the effect while walking. It is not making much of a difference. Also, I also have cold foot while sitting so I tend to overlap my legs on each other. Please explain it to me.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, diabetes can affect the nerve function in your legs, giving it a burning, tingling or uncomfortable feeling. Occasionally people will describe it as cold..

Usually, diabetes does have to be somewhat advanced--people have to have it for a while.

But, other things can cause symptoms of nerve problems (also known as neuropathy). Vitamin deficiencies (B12 and folate) which can be seen in people with colitis is one cause.
Alcohol is another cause.

Nerve compression from crossing your legs (usually occurs if crossing at the knee) can cause a tingling of the lower leg and foot.
A bulging disk in the back can also compress nerves leading to tingling or numbness in the legs.

If your foot is truly "cold" to touch, then you also need to have a circulation test done. This looks at the blood vessels (arteries) to make sure that you have normal blood flow. It would be highly unusual for a young adult to have decreased blood flow, however.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so what do u suggest is the way forward. Should i carry on some specific tests.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, first your doctor should simply check the pulses in your legs.
That is a simple way to rule out decreased circulation.

If your pulses are normal, then I would check a vitamin B12, folate, glucose (blood sugar) and, if your symptoms do feel more like a numbness/tingling or are suggestive of a nerve problem, I would recommend a test called an EMG/nerve conduction study.
This test looks at the nerve function of the legs. It will be able to distinguish whether you appear to have a nerve compression problem or a metabolic issue affecting the nerves or if something else appears to be going on.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am also getting a chilly feeling in my body, although there is no fever and the temperature is normal. Is it due to the chills in my leg. Also, this uncomfortable situation has made me stressed. Lack of exercise has made it even worse. What do u suggest.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I suggest that you follow up with your doctor for the blood work listed above and the testing I have listed.

Chills can also be due to a viral syndrome or anemia (due to iron deficiency for example), so a blood count is also a test I would do.

I hope that you feel better...

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States