Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a sensitive area on my hard palate, a little reddened,

I have a sensitive area on my hard palate, a little reddened, burns some, and it's one of those areas I keep running my tongue over to feel it. Funny taste in the mouth also. Been this way for a couple of weeks now..What say you?
Category: Health
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-q5geggh9,

Because there are a multitude of different conditions and disorders that could manifest in the way you describe, it is not possible to reliably infer a diagnosis. The possibilities include:
  • if it is adjacent to a tooth, it may represent a fistula from either a periodontal or dento-alveolar abscess.
  • if it is located on a bony prominence in the center of the palate (i.e., a "torus palatinus"), it may be simple physical trauma from hard food due to being stretched over that prominence.
  • it may be due to any of a number of muco-cutaneous disorders, such as lichen planus, pemphigoid, pemphigus, or lupus erythematosis, although your male gender makes these less likely.
  • it may be a secondary herpes simplex eruption, analogous to a cold sore, which not infrequently occurs on the hard palate or gum tissue.
  • it may be a neoplastic process (i.e., a benign or malignant tumor), which can cause soreness due to ulceration.
There are other, less common lesions as well, but the above listed conditions are what I would deem the more likely suspects.

Because the significance of your symptoms cannot be determined without identification of the problem, I recommend that you schedule a formal diagnostic session with your dentist.

Good luck!