Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

My husband spent five hours in a walk-in unventilated closet

My husband spent five hours in a walk-in unventilated closet painting. A few hours later he complained of a racing heartbeat. I took his blood pressure and it was normal but his heart rate was 147. I know this is wrong, bit I gave hime 25mg of Atenolol that I take for high bp and a irregular heartbeat. He didn't choose to go to the hosp. an eventually his rate slowed and he went to sleep waking up this am feeling fine. Can we attribute this to painting this walk-in closet with no fan or ventilation?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Has this ever happened before?
Does he have a headache?
What is his heart rate now? ANd blood pressure?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Looks fine, feels fine and had no headache during this episode. Has not had any cardio problems in the past.
Based on what you are telling me it would be likely that your assumption is correct. The paint fumes could have caused the high heart rate.

You are correct to be nervous about giving him your medication. THis time that small amount did not bother him but it could have.

At this point, I would just monitor him and if it occurs again get him immediately to his doctor or an Urgent Care. That way an EKG can be done to determine if his heart rate is just fast or an arrhythmia is also present.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the $18. cover answers for one month?
I really don't know what promotions you came under. They run different ones. I will ask a customer service rep to email you with the answer to that question.

I do know that if you don't click accept the monies will not be transferred to me. When you click accept it means that you are satisfied with the answer and that I answered your question to your satisfaction.

I know that this can be confusing sometimes. But I will ask them to help you since I can't see that portion of the web site. We are too busy answering questions!