Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I have a pain in my left hand, in the ball of my thumb. It

I have a pain in my left hand, in the ball of my thumb. It has been getting worse over last two months or so. Now there is a perceptible bump at the base of my thumb on the palm side jusst above the wrist. I am going to the doctor next week, and will probably get an X-ray ordered but I would like some possibilities of what it could be, perhaps? maybe from least scary to most scary?
Likely causes of your pain are trauma, arthritis, dequervain's, carpal tunnel, tendinitis. I don't think you need to worry about this too much. I do recommend the x-ray to see if it is some sort of trauma or arthritis. You may also need a good physical exam to see if it is carpal tunnel or a sort of tendinitis. I recommend that you continue taking pain relievers as needed and you can also try a night wrist splint which stabilizes the thumb nightly in the meantime.