Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

I have a lump about 1 long on my breast. I visited with my

I have a lump about 1" long on my breast. I visited with my gyno and she confirmed the mass was there and ordered a sonogram. However, nothing was found on the sonogram. My question is is this normal?

Yes, this can be a normal finding. Meaning that it is most likely a collection of fibrocystic tissue.

Breast tissue changes throughout the years and some women even experience this right before periods.

A mammogram with a sonogram was the correct procedure to do.

However, if it changes or gets larger please follow up with her, or if you notice any nipple discharge or change in the skin texture. Changes is what needs to be monitored.

Thanks for asking a good question!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have had a hysterctomy - would you still expect this kind of change to take place. It has been growing for 2 months and very painful.

Yes, it could very well change with that.

Painful usually means it is fibrocystic. they can be very painful. Try to limit your caffeine intake, Take evening prime rose oil, this can also help decrease the pain.

However, again if it keeps getting larger then you need to be examined again. Usually in about 1 month.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have you ever heard of palpable masses. Could this be it? Since the nurse could find it but it could not be found on an ultrasound?

Yes, Palpable masses just means that you can "feel" it but if they are normal the sonogram won't show up anything.

I have palpated many masses that are normal.